If you’re looking to reduce your waste, then making a few simple swaps to your bathroom products could be a great way to start.
With these simple DIY Zero Waste recipes, you’ll no longer need to buy expensive plastic-covered products from your pharmacy or grocery store… You’ll be able to make them yourself at home!
I’ve found these recipes by experimenting in my kitchen (this may be why I’ve lately been called “The Mad Scientist”). But I wanted to find the best ones that have actually work.
It’s important to note a few things:
- All our ingredients of the following Zero Waste bathroom essentials should be readily available in your local bulk foods store, or you might even already have these in your pantry. These products come in glass containers that can be reused or recycled after. Make sure you avoid plastic packaged products and choose to use metal tins, cardboard boxes or glassed containers instead.
- These are not medical-approved recipes so please test first to ensure you’re not allergic to anything.
- We hope you love them… so let us know how you get on!
Zero Waste Make-Up Remover
This hack is incredibly simple. Not only does it work really well but it's cheaper than using disposable wipes, great for moisturising the skin, and smells amazing too. All you need is a little coconut oil and a cotton pad and you'll be able to wash off all your make up.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Cotton pad, dampened with a couple of drips of water
- Spoon the coconut oil onto the cotton pad, and wipe all over your face to remove the make up.
- It'll moisturise at the same time as taking off all the make up, leaving your face glowing!
Zero Waste Toothpaste
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 25 - 30 drops of spearmint essential oil
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until you create a smooth paste.
- Transfer into a small mason jar with a lid.
- To use, apply a small amount on your bamboo toothbrush, and brush away!
You can alter the amount of baking soda to your preference, for deep cleaning add an additional ½ a teaspoon and if you have more sensitive teeth use 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Zero Waste Mouthwash
- 1 cup distilled water, boiled & cooled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
- Optional: 1 tsp xylitol
- To make the mouthwash: Add all the ingredients into a glass bottle with a lid. Give it a good shake.
- To use: Shake before each use.
- Swish 1 tbsp (15 ml) around your mouth for 1 to 2 minutes to freshen up your breath and reveal squeaky-clean teeth!
Aim to make a fresh new batch of your zero waste mouthwash every 7 – 10 days.
Zero Waste Deodorant
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ½ cup organic coconut oil
- 25 - 30 drops of essential oil (you can vary this depending on which smells you like. We love Lavender oil, Lemongrass oil, Ylang Ylang, and Tee Tree Oil)
- Melt the coconut oil down to a liquid.
- Mix in the essential oils of your choice.
- Add the baking soda and stir until smooth.
- Pour into an airtight jar or container, and apply with your hands or a small wooden spatula
This natural toxic free deodorant won’t have the same antiperspirant properties that commercial deodorants have, but it will keep you smelling good all day with minimal use. That’s why this deodorant will last for a long time!
We really hope you can incorporate these simple and easy Zero Waste bathroom essentials into your everyday bathroom routine. Not only will each of these recipes have a huge benefit to your health and the environment but they will be save you pennies too.
If you have any questions about these Zero Waste bathroom recipes, you can get in touch with us here at Bare Vida, we’ll be more than happy to answer questions about these DIY waste-free recipes and hear your feedback!
Why not give these natural DIY recipes a go today, don’t forget to share them with us by using the #BareVida hashtag and join the tribe of eco-conscious warriors.